solve attached questions showing steps. – SEM218 Mechanics of Fluids
Due on Thursday, 21st
Water flows through a control volume as shown in the figure.
SEM218 Mechanics of Fluids Assignment 2 Due on Thursday, 21st April 2011 Q1 (a) Water flows through a control volume as shown in the figure. At Section (1) the diameter is 40 mm and the velocity profile is given by V(r) = 10 (4 – r2) m/s, where r is the distance from the centerline. At Section (2) the mass flow rate is 10 kg/s and at Section (3) the diameter is 40 mm and the flow is uniform. Calculate the uniform velocity at the section (3). Density of water is 1000 kg/m3 40 mm dia 40 mm dia C V (1) (2) (3)
Q1 (b) Water flows through a pipe of 300 mm diameter at the rate of 66 L/s. Determine the value of the manometer reading, ‘h’. Specific gravity of manometer liquid is 0.8 Q2 (a) Water flowing through the vertical pipe is shown below. Calculate the required pipe diameter for the smaller pipe,‘d’, given that the two pressure gauges read the same value. 300 mm dia h S = 0.8 6 m/s 300 mm dia d 3 m
Q2 (b) Water flows at 40 m/s from a jet of area of cross-section 0.008 m2 on to a flat plate as shown in the figure. Find the force F normal to the plate, and the flow rates out of the plate. Q3 A horizontal pipe of 540 mm diameter carrying 0.6 m3/s splits into two horizontal pipes of 300 mm diameter with 60% of the flow and the other of 150 mm diameter with 40% of the flow. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force on the anchor holding the pipe junction if the pressure gauge reads 70 kPa. Assume no energy losses. 450 F
0.6 m3/s 150 mm dia 300 mm dia 540 mm dia 450 600 70 kPa