The nursing faculty at Hartford University have developed a new BSN curriculum and begun the work of designing and developing individual courses. You are a full-time, tenure-track faculty member assigned to develop courses in level one—the first year of the nursing program. Students at this level have completed all prerequisites for the BSN program.
You are asked to develop the Nursing Fundamentals course, the first clinical course students engage in once admitted to the BSN nursing program. According to the results of the nursing program entrance exam, the students who will be taking the Nursing Fundamentals course were found to have an equal distribution of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning styles. The Nursing Fundamentals course will introduce students to nursing care across the lifespan. It will also provide students with the tools necessary to perform basic nursing care in clinical settings and will provide the framework for future clinical courses (e.g., medical/surgical, pediatric, obstetrics/gynecology, mental health, and community nursing specialties).
A. Develop four competency statements specific to the Nursing Fundamentals course that are based on contemporary professional nursing standards and guidelines.
1. Explain how each of the four competencies you developed aligns with one of the following national nursing standards and guidelines:
• Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
• National League for Nursing (NLN)
• Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN)
2. Create three learning objectives for one of the course competencies that you developed.
a. Discuss one criterion you will use to select appropriate learning resources to achieve the learning objectives you created.
3. Discuss one of the following approaches to course design that you will use in developing the Nursing Fundamentals course:
B. Discuss two of the following types of strategies you will use to evaluate learning outcomes in the Nursing Fundamentals course:
- click here for more information on this paper
• papers and essays
• role playing
• oral questioning
• audio and video recording
• service learning
1. Describe one advantage for each of the strategies you will use.
2. Describe one disadvantage for each of the strategies you will use.